Feb 23, 2010

Interview With The Artist - Heather Haymart

How long have you been an artist?
As many artists might say, I have been an artist all of my life. I can remember making drawings in first grade that impressed people and that impressed me! I couldn't get enough of the accolades. This eventually lead me to being an art student at Mizzou. I received two degrees, one in Art Education and one in Fine Art. That enabled me to teach art to high school students where I got my best education. I truly believe that there is no better way to train yourself as an artist than helping others solve artistic problems. After that invaluable education, I did murals and then finally I jumped into painting abstracts for a living and never looked back.

What is your “day job” if you have one?
These days I feel like I have many "day jobs", and "night jobs" and "weekend jobs", but all of them are keeping me in the business of what I love so I consider myself lucky. In addition to being a mom to my two awesome kids (8 and 10) I get to be partners with the Gateway Gallery artists, I co-run Wood Icing at the Chesterfield Mall where we teach classes and private lessons, have a studio and sell our work, I work one day a week at Art Trends Gallery in Chesterfield, I teach two painting and drawing classes at Chesterfield Arts to 3-8 grade students, I do art fairs during the season and I try to exhibit locally and regionally from time to time. Oh yeah, and I make paintings! That is the BEST part.


Why do you make art?
My paintings are my visual journals. I get to express myself without words and it sometimes seems like magic. It's like my very own super power. My paintings help me work through my thoughts, they serve as reminders and affirmations about my future and they help me communicate with strangers and friends on a more intimate level than would ever be possible otherwise.

What draws you to the medium you use?
I use Wood Icing as my modeling paste and acrylic paint on wood. I am drawn to it because it is so unique and when I first started using it, this idea of using texture so heavily was very new (at least to me). It gives me the chance to work in many layers and create these color combinations and depth with texture and color that surprises me every time. I say it is like playing in the mud and then I get to make it pretty.



Do you have any vices for being creative?
I suppose I do. I really like to drink coffee while I paint. I love that moment when I step back to take a sip and meditate on the next thing to do in my painting. I like to listen to music and I dance and sing. I love my solitude although sometimes I get lonely. This is something I am trying to work through right now.  I have most of my studio at Wood Icing and I am having a hard time adjusting to working in this new environment. I love it and I am challenged. I think if I had two sets of paints and tools, I would do my small stuff at Wood Icing and I would do my large paintings on my big easel at home. It will be interesting to see where this takes my work. My paintings might undergo another transformation.

Where do you get your creative talent?
My family is full of creative women. My great grandmother made these amazing embroidered wall hangings and I am lucky enough to have one. My Grandmother is a prolific creative although she would never admit it. She quilts, sews, knits, does crochet, she used to teach ceramics, she does lovely watercolors and never stops creating something. I remember my mom, Rose Wilde, painting a still life of walnuts in our kitchen at an easel even though she would never consider herself an artist. She created and sells Wood Icing and can create any faux finish she dreams up. My cousin, Amie King, makes amazing jewelry and a million other creative things. I could go on and on but I think you get the idea. You should hear us when we all get into one room!


Please come visit Heather and the other Gateway artists this Friday the 26th from 6-9. She has 12 pieces in the window and will be showing off her most recent painting. Not to mention the unveiling of the Meeting of Minds project! We will have light appetizers and wine and a great time as always.

You can find Heather online at:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice Heather. You are a great interviewer!
Linda Smith